- 2 medium size bunches of fresh broccoli (about 2 lbs), cut into 1-inch florets and 1/4 inch stem slices
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled (no need to chop)
- 7 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/8 cup of chives, chopped
- 10 ounces of frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
Optional: Chive Greek Yogurt (to top off your bowl of soup)
- 1 cup of 0% greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon of chives, minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon of fresh thyme, minced
- Steam the chopped broccoli (stove top or microwave).
- In a large pot, add the steamed broccoli, potato, onion, garlic cloves, chives, and vegetable broth, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the thawed spinach, thyme, and pepper, and simmer the soup for 10 more minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender until smooth (you may have to blend the soup in 2-3 batches depending on how big your blender is).
- Pour the soup back into the large pot and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Prep the chive greek yogurt by combining all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour yourself a bowl of soup and add a spoonful of greek yogurt on top!
Recipe adapted from the Jan/Feb 2013 magazine edition, Every Day with Rachel Ray!
This recipe was featured on my post, No Fat “Creamy Broccoli Spinach Soup”!