Natural “Caramel” Covered Apples (that won’t get stuck in your teeth!)
- 2 cup pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons of tahini
- 1/8 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 large apples (or 4 small apples)
- 1 cup of a variety of nuts, chopped (hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc.)
- Warm the dates in the microwave for 2 minutes (remember to use a microwave safe bowl)
- Put the warm dates in the food processor and add the vanilla extract, tahini, and almond milk to the dates.
- Process the “caramel” mixture for able about 30 seconds until the mixture reaches a smooth consistency that you can spread on an apple (My mixture was similar to an almond butter consistency. If you want a smoother consistency, add 1 tbsp of almond milk at a time to get the mixture to your desired consistency.)
- Use a spatula to spread the “caramel” around the apple.
- Once the “caramel” surrounds the apple, roll the apple in chopped nuts! You might have to press the nuts into the apple to make the bigger chunks stick.
- You can eat your apple right away OR you can refrigerate it until the “caramel” hardens. Also, if you have extra “caramel” you can use it as a “caramel” dip too!
Recipe adapted from Care 2 Make a Difference By Brigitte Mars
This recipe was featured in my post, “Apples to Apples: It’s Simple“!