Makes about 8 servings (1-1.5 cups per serving)
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into medium size pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 3 cups of uncooked wheat pasta (any shape you want)
- 2 cups skim milk (or other milk substitute such as original unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 cups cooked lentils (I used Trader Joes steamed lentils already cooked)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 oz frozen spinach package, defrosted (or 3 cups of fresh spinach or 2 big handfuls of spinach)
- 1/2 cup shredded light skim mozzarella cheese
- optional: 1 tsp of chipotle pepper (makes mac & cheese a little spicy)
- Steam cauliflower in a pot or microwave until tender.
- Saute olive oil, garlic, and onion in a pan until onions are translucent, not until browned.
- Add cauliflower, onion mixture, and vegetable broth into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the cauliflower puree and all the other ingredients into your crockpot. Mix the ingredients together.
- Cook for 2.5 hours on High (or 4-5 hours on LOW) or until pasta is cooked.
- Recipe inspired by The Lean Green Bean’s Lentil Veggie Mac & Cheese
- Find this recipe featured in my post, Week 7 Crockpot Meals: A Healthier Spin on Mac ‘n’ Cheese!