- 1.5 lbs of stew beef (already cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup of carrots, chopped
- 5 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1-15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of smoked paprika (my new favorite spice for meat rubs from Penzeys Spices)
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 4 quarts of water
- 1 cup of medium pearl barley (not cooked)
- 2 cups of frozen mixed carrots, green beans, peas, and corn.
- In a pan, brown the outside of the beef in extra virgin olive oil and transfer in your crockpot (I cut each cube into 4-5 smaller pieces before I placed it in my crockpot).
- Prepare and add the onion, carrots, celery, paprika, black pepper, oregano, salt, tomato sauce, and water to the beef in the crockpot.
- Cook mixture on LOW for 4 hours (2 hours on HIGH).
- Add barley (uncooked) and frozen carrots, green beans, peas and corn into the crockpot.
- Cook on LOW for 3 hours (1.5 hours on HIGH).
- Taste the stew and add any more spices if necessary!
(Recipe adapted from here)
Find this recipe featured in my post,