- 1.5 lb ground lean meat (I used beef)
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (low sodium) OR 1 Tablespoon of ground cumin, 1 Tablespoon of ground chili pepper, 1/2 Tablespoon of dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned corn, drained/washed
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained/washed
- 1.5 cups of a cooked whole grain (i.e. brown rice, quinoa, barley, etc.) I used a mixture of brown rice and quinoa
- 6 large bell peppers, top sliced off and take out insides
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups diced tomatoes with garlic and basil
- In a sauce pan, cook the ground meat and onion on medium until the meat is browned. Drain/strain the excess liquid.
- Add the zucchini, whole grain, corn, beans, taco seasonings, and water to the pan. Cook on medium and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stuff the bell peppers and put them in the crockpot. If you have extra stuffing mixture, keep it to add to the tomato sauce.
- Add and mix the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes in the saucepan with the extra stuffing mixture. Pour the tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers.
- Cook the stuffed peppers on HIGH for 2-3 hours (LOW for 4-6 hours) or until the peppers are soft to your liking.
- Optional Toppings: homemade guacamole and non-fat greek yogurt.
Find this recipe featured in my post, Week 7 Crockpot Meals: Mexican Stuffed Peppers!