Whether you want a filling breakfast for a long day of work, a hot breakfast that you can roll out of bed to on a sunday morning, or an energizing breakfast for Christmas day festivities, I might have two recipes that you would be interested in for perfect fuel to get you through the day!
Why is breakfast considered the most important meal of the day?!?!
- Breakfast increases your metabolism by starting to move your gastrointestinal system earlier in the day.
- Breakfast helps with weight management and weight loss by the tendency to not overeat throughout the day.
- Breakfast refuels your blood sugar and replenishes your glycogen stores after a 8-12 hour overnight fast.
- Breakfast kickstart your energy level for the day making you more alert.
You bet I eat breakfast everyday, even if it is something I can grab on the go and eat in the car on the way to work!
The IDEAL breakfast should contain FIBER and PROTEIN to keep you full longer!
- Eggs sandwich on whole wheat toast or english muffin
- Fruit smoothie with flaxseed, rolled oats, and greek yogurt
- Yogurt parfait with greek yogurt and granola
- High fiber cereal with skim milk and berries
- Oatmeal with an egg white or scoop of protein powder added into the cooking process
- ON THE GO: Hard boiled egg, one serving of fiber cereal, and apple OR granola bar that contains fiber and protein (Luna, cliff, kashi bars) OR whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a banana
The past few weeks I have been getting up pretty early and grabbing breakfast on the go, which has been either a granola bar and piece of fruit to eat in the car OR yogurt, fruit, and granola to eat right when I got to work. I have been craving warm steel-cut oats and eggs, so I decided this week’s crockpot meals would be breakfast themed, even though I had both of these meals for lunch and dinner too! I prepared both of these meals before I went to bed and woke up to breakfast ready to eat!
Week 8 Crockpot Breakfast Meals
Cinnamon Apple Steel Cut Oats: Loaded with fiber and omega 3s!
Makes 4 servings (about 1-1.5 cup per serving)
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 1 cup of steel-cut oats
- 3.5 cups of vanilla unsweetened almond milk (or water, cow’s milk, soymilk, or a combination of water and milk)
- 2 Tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- Optional toppings after steel cut oats are cooked: walnuts, almonds, pecans, berries, nut butter/PB2, jams, maple syrup.
- Put all the ingredients into the crockpot and stir the mixture well.
- Cook the steel-cut oats overnight for 8 hours on Low (or 3-4 hours on HIGH)
- The steel cut oats are ready to eat! Add any toppings you would like!
I topped this serving with Walnuts!
4. The leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated. I would recommend microwaving the steel-cut oats with 1/8 cup of liquid (water or milk or milk substitute) for 2 minutes.
The day after with blackberries and pomegranate seeds! Still delish and it was ready in 2 minutes!
Inspired by The Yummy Life
Click Here for other crockpot steel cut oat variations
CLICK HERE to Print Just This Recipe
Veggilicious Egg Casserole: Packed with protein and color!
- 3 cups of vegetables of your choice (fresh spinach, brussels sprouts, bell pepper, mushrooms, yellow onion, broccoli)
- 1 cup of red potatoes, chopped
- A dozen eggs
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 1 Tablespoon of tabasco chipotle sauce
- 1 tsp of cracked black pepper
- 2 pinches of salt
- Optional: goat cheese, shredded skim mozzarella cheese, etc.
- Spray your crockpot with olive oil.
- Prep your veggies and place into the crockpot.
- In a bowl, whisk together your eggs, tabasco chipotle sauce, skim milk, and black pepper.
- Add the egg mixture to the crockpot and mix the vegetables well.
- Cook your casserole on LOW for 8 hours (3-4 hours on HIGH).
- Either turn over your crockpot onto a plate and cut into pieces or scoop your casserole right out of your crockpot.
Optional: sprinkle your warm single serving of veggie egg casserole with your choice of cheese.
No one said you couldn’t have egg casserole for Lunch or Dinner too!
CLICK HERE to Print Just This Recipe
Who knows, maybe you will feel more alive than you have been by simply eating breakfast! Enjoy!
What is your favorite breakfast fuel?!?!?
For those just tuning in to my crockpot meal jounrey, why I am doing 10 weeks of Crockpot Meals? THE ANSWER IS HERE
Click here to view all the crockpot meals completed in CROCKPOT CHALLENGE 1!