It was a sad day when I finished my homemade apple butter and the pumpkin butter at Trader Joes was sold out.
My only choice was to make my own! I followed Oh She Glow’s Pumpkin Butter recipe!
Cranberry Pumpkin Butter
- 2-15 oz can of pumpkin puree
- 2 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1 cup of apple cider
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of cloves
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 lemon squeezed or 1-2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients, except the lemon juice, into a bowl and stir well.
- Put mixture into a saucepan a bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 35 -45 minutes with the lid tilted ajar. Stir every 5-10 minutes.
- Remove pumpkin butter from heat and let it cool 5 minutes before removing the lid.
- Stir in the lemon juice and more spices if necessary.
- Transfer pumpkin butter into mason jars
Your cranberry pumpkin butter will stay fresh for 3-4 weeks!
****I wanted to make batch of regular pumpkin butter and cranberry pumpkin butter so I split this recipe in half to make a jar of each butter. If you followed the recipe above, after mixing all the ingredients together (except for the cranberries), I split the mixture in half into two saucepans. I added only 1 cup of fresh cranberries to one of the saucepans for cranberry pumpkin butter.
The recipe made exactly one jar of both pumpkin butters! These butters are great for the holiday season for gifts or incorporating in holiday appetizers/desserts or just incorporating a different twist to your morning breakfast!
I love apples, but cranberries are becoming another favorite ingredient in my recipes this time of year!
Today, I put 1 tablespoon of the cranberry pumpkin butter in my plain non-fat greek yogurt and on my seduction toast.
What do you like to spread on your toast?!?!?
This was the perfect breakfast, as my stomach was growling more than usual this morning, which was most likely due to a hard crossfit and swim practice last night. Swim practice made me realize I am out of shape! 5-200 IMs were a killer! By the end of practice, my arms were done! One of the coaches really wants katie and I to compete in the USA Swimming Nationals in May. I never thought I would race in a pool again, but who knows what a few more practices and peer pressure could get me to do! Swimming more will only improve my overall fitness and triathlons! Discussion to be continued…………….