Cooking with Fresh Cranberries, Cranberry Benefits, Cranberry Fun Facts, Cranberry Gravy, Cranberry Turkey Breast, Crockpot Cranberry Turkey Breast, Crockpot Dinners, Crockpot Meals, Crockpot Turkey Breast with Fresh Cranberries and Potatoes
CRANBERRIES aka “BOUNCE-BERRIES”
If you haven’t notice, fresh cranberries are currently in season and abundant in the grocery stores!
1 serving of cranberries = ½ cup of whole fruit OR ¾ cup of 100% juice.
1 cup of chopped fresh cranberries = 50 calories, where as 1 cup of cranberry sauce = 400 calories
Nutrient Content of Raw Cranberries click here
CRANBERRY FUN FACTS
- German and Dutch settlers gave cranberries their name, crane berry, because the pale flowers on the blossomed cranberry vines resembled the head and bill of a crane in the late spring.
- Cranberries are a native fruit of North America.
- Only 5% of cranberries are sold fresh. The other 95% is sold as cranberry juice, cranberry sauce, and other cranberry products.
- 10 fl oz of 100% cranberry juice prevents urinary tract infections.
- Cranberries are also called “bounce-berries” because the small pockets of air make them bounce and float in the bogs when they are ready to harvest!
- Cranberries have a high content of antioxidants. In fact, the New England sailors ate cranberries to prevent and treat scurvy (vitamin C deficiency).
- Cranberries are grown in sandy bogs or marshes.
- There are 440 cranberries in 1 pound, 4,400 cranberries in 1 gallon of juice, and 44,000 cranberries in 100-lb barrel!
- American consume 400 million pounds of cranberries per year, of which 20% (80 million pounds) are consumed during the Thanksgiving week.
- Cranberries can be used to flavor wines, but they are not used for wine making because they do not ferment naturally as grapes.
- American cranberry recipes began in the early 18th century.
- Cranberry blossoms last 10 -12 days depending on the weather.
- The main states that grow cranberries are Wisconsin, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, and Washington.
- On April 5th, 2004, the cranberry was officially named Wisconsin’s state fruit.
- Cranberries can prevent cardiovascular disease, as they contain dietary fiber, flavonoids, and polyphenolics, which have potential benefits for overall heart health.
I bet you never knew cranberries were so unique!
Week 6 Crockpot Meal: Turkey Breast with Fresh Cranberries and Potatoes!
This week’s crockpot meal was my favorite meal so far! I wanted to use the boneless turkey breast I had in the freezer and a mixture of potatoes I had on hand. As Thanksgiving is approaching, I thought cranberries would be a great addition to my ingredients for this week’s meal. I googled “fresh cranberries + turkey breast + crockpot” and multiple recipes came up, but one recipe in particular got my eye! After making a few changes to the recipe, I was ready to give this meal a go!
This was the first time I had ever cooked a whole turkey breast and cooked with fresh cranberries!
- 1/2 large white onion
- 3 cups of fresh cranberries (the whole 12 oz bag)
- 1/2 Tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 pinch of salt
- 12 fl oz of orange juice
- 3 Tablespoons of honey
- 1 small boneless turkey breast (or whatever size turkey breast that would fit into your crockpot)
- Potatoes (use one or as many kinds of potatoes as you wish to make about 2 cup of sliced potatoes)3 Tablespoons of whole wheat flour
- 6 fingerling potatoes, sliced
- 4 red potatoes, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet potato, sliced
- Add the onion, cranberries, cinnamon, ginger, salt, orange juice, and honey into the crockpot and mix well to disperse the honey and spices.
- Place the turkey breast on top of the cranberry and onion mixture (leave the netting on the turkey breast).
- Place the sliced potatoes around the turkey breast.
- Cook the turkey breast for 8 hours on LOW (4-5 hours on HIGH). Continue cooking the turkey breast until the inside temperature is 165 degrees F.
- Take the turkey breast out of the crockpot, cut the netting off, and slice the turkey breast.
- Add the flour to the cranberry gravy to make your gravy thicker (can skip this step if you like a thinner gravy).
- Place and submerge your slices of turkey breast in the gravy while the gravy thickens for 20 minutes.
- Your cranberry chicken is ready to be served! Roasted Brussels sprouts and/or broccoli would be perfect green vegetable sides to complete this meal!
Recipe adapted from here
It is quite obvious that I am craving the Thanksgiving meal already….turkey breast, cranberries, sweet potatoes, and gravy! YUM!
What Thanksgiving dish are you craving already?!?!?!?
PS: I am making cranberry pumpkin butter tonight, I will be sure to let you know how it turns out =)